A downloadable game
Set in an alternate 1986 and loosely inspired by 8-bit ZX Spectrum classics, Citizen Carol is a 2D side-scrolling shooter game with an unique highly stylized aesthetics, fast-paced duels and an awesome Synthwave/Retrowave soundtrack consisting of 48 tracks composed by some of the greatest exponents of the genre.
Developed with feedback from speedrunners and hardcore gamers and quietly in production since early 2015, Citizen Carol is Diat Funa’s debut project as a solo indie game developer.
- Platforms: Windows – TBD: Linux, Switch, XB1, PS4
- Number of Players: Single Player, Local Multiplayer (PVP: 2-4 players) – TBD: Online Multiplayer
- Controller Support: Yes
- Release Date: Suspended
- Languages: English, Italian – TBD: French, German, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazil, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Citizen Carol depicts a dystopian 1986 in which genetically engineered males are forcibly reassigned as females at birth by a powerful matriarchal empire supported by noble houses and corporations.
Citizen Carol tells the story of young Carol Stallonegger, a boy forced to be a girl who wants revenge on the Empire and the 3 major noble houses that control the known universe and destroyed her noble family.
- You are Carol, a boy forced to be a girl who wants revenge.
- A 2D side-scrolling shooter game with an unique highly stylized aesthetics and pure handcrafted sprites loosely inspired by 8-bit ZX Spectrum classics.
- Challenging gameplay developed with feedback from speedrunners and hardcore gamers.
- An amazing Synthwave/Retrowave soundtrack consisting of 48 tracks composed by some of the greatest exponents of the genre.
- A kick-ass 2D action shooter game: claustrophobic level design, hyper aggressive enemies, fast-paced duels based on one-hit headshot kills, unusual vintage vehicles, 12 different weapons (from grenade launcher to portal gun), secrets, Easter eggs and the S.A.T. (Self-Antimatter-Transmutation).
- Hardcore Mode, an optional gaming mode implemented to give an extra level of challenge to players. If you lose all your lives, you will be brought to the “Game Over” screen and you will have to start back at Level 1. There is also no save file or anything that you can save to, so you will not be able to go back to the stage you are on if you turn off the game.
- Local multiplayer PVP for up to 4 players. Currently there are 4 planned game modes.
- DRM-free distribution on Steam, itch.io and GOG.
Music is an integral part of the Citizen Carol experience. The official soundtrack features 48 tracks composed by some of the greatest exponents of Synthwave/Retrowave genre. It’s the result of 3 years of careful research and negotiations and tries to capture the memorable mood of the 80s.
For general, press and business inquiries: citizencarol(at)diatfuna.com
Follow me on:
- YouTube: youtube.com/diatfuna
- Facebook: facebook.com/diatfuna
- Twitter: twitter.com/diatfuna
- IndieDB: indiedb.com/games/citizencarol
Visit my public Trello board if you're interested in seeing what I'm currently working on.
- OS: Windows 7 64-bit or later
- CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 / AMD FX-6300 (or equivalent)
- RAM: 4GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7850 (or equivalent)
- OS: Windows 7 64-bit or later
- CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (or equivalent)
- RAM: 8GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 / AMD Radeon HD 7970 (or equivalent)
|Genre||Shooter, Action, Platformer|
|Made with||Unreal Engine, GIMP, Audacity|
|Tags||2D, 8-Bit, Arcade, Cyberpunk, Metroidvania, Pixel Art, Retro, Synthwave|
|Average session||A few hours|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any), Playstation controller|
|Player count||1 - 4|